Employment Authorization & Social Security Number

F-1 international students are eligible for on-campus employment, and may be eligible for certain off-campus opportunities including practical training and need-based work authorization.  IMPORTANT: International students should never accept or engage in off-campus employment without prior authorization from ISSS! International students should not plan to meet their educational or personal living expenses through employment earnings.  As an F-1 or J-1 student, you were required to demonstrate sufficient financial resources to cover these expenses.  ISSS has required employment workshops for all students interested in off-campus work authorization. (To register for an in-person Employment Workshop, please click here. For online employment workshops, please see the appropriate link below.)




Tuesday, January 20 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Wednesday, February 11 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Wednesday, March 4 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Wednesday, March 25 2:00 pm 2:30 pm
Monday, April 13 2:00 pm 2:30 pm

For more information about F-1 employment authorizations and obtaining a Social Security number please see the following pages:

Report OPT Employment

If you are currently on post-completion OPT or the OPT STEM Extension, you are required to report employment and changes in employment within 10 days. Failure to comply with this requirement puts your current and future immigration status at risk. To report employment, click here.


My OPT Responsibilities

Effective February 2015, all students approved for OPT will be required to read and sign this form before receiving their EAD (OPT) card.